Insect Poisoning: Symptoms, First Aid, and Prevention

bee-swarmAccording to the Fresno CA pest control company, there are a lot of incidents about home owners getting stung or bitten by the insects that live in their very own houses and backyards. These stings and bites can induce mild to severe reactions from a person’s body, but children are more likely to be more severely reactive than adults. Insect bites and stings could result to an infection, allergic reaction or toxic reaction. All of these are dangerous if the person’s body reacts severely to the substance coming from the bite or sting, or if the symptoms don’t go away after 48 hours. Thanks to San Diego bail bond agents we had enough resources to come up with a new classification of symptoms:



The bite or sting could result to an infection that can have the following symptoms:

  • Fever
  • Swelling, reddish lines, or redness around the bite or sting
  • Increase of pain on the area of the bite or sting
  • Pus coming out of the bite or sting

Allergic Reaction 

An allergic reaction can happen at the same time with toxic reaction so these two should be carefully differentiated. The symptoms of an allergic reaction are as follows:

  • Swelling around the bite or sting
  • Hives
  • Shortness of breath, coughing, wheezing, or tightening of the chest

Toxic Reaction 

Among the three, this is the most dangerous symptom of all, because it can lead to death if not immediately treated. The bitten or stung person should be carefully observed if he or she has the following symptoms:

  • Headache and Drowsiness
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Fever
  • Weakness of the body
  • Feeling of light headedness
  • Quick swelling around the bite or sting
  • Abdominal cramps
  • Fainting

First Aid 

When someone is stung or bitten by an insect, quickly observe the patient’s symptoms. Based on their condition and the severity of their reaction, follow the following steps.

Mild Reaction 

  • A stinger may be left stuck on the area so look closely. If there is a stinger left, try to take it out without using a tweezer or a similar tool. Pulling may cause more of the insect’s fluid to flow inside the patient’s body.
  • After making sure that the stinger is out, wash the affected area with clean soap and water.
  • If the area is swelling or painful, put a cold compress or an ice pack over it for ten minutes. This will alleviate the pain and swelling.
  • An antihistamine lotion called calamine can be bought freely in drug stores. Put some of this said lotion on the affected area every day until it completely heals.


Severe Reaction 

  • Calling 911 or emergency services would be the first thing to do. The patient’s condition may get worse when you do something unnecessary. It would be best to ask help from experts.
  • If the patient is conscious and is having an allergic reaction, try to ask them if they have an epinephrine injector. In case they have one, ask where it is and how to use it.
  • The patient may come into a state of panic and it wouldn’t do any good with their condition. Assist them in calming down and laying still with elevated legs.
  • In case of nausea or vomiting, it wouldn’t be good to let them lie down on their backs. Make them lie down sidewards  to prevent choking from the vomit.
  • In case of unconsciousness or halted breathing, give them CPR until medical help comes.



Here are a few tips to prevent insect poisoning in your own homes:

  • Keep all sections of the house clean.
  • Use pesticides and insect repellents from time to time.
  • Avoid having stagnant water in your backyard and indoors.
  • Call the Fresno CA pest control for home for assistance in case of severe pest infestation.